Sunday, August 16, 2009

JUST LIKE THAT!


Have you missed me? I have missed you! Sorry for the long lag between posts but the Odyssey of Me, the Entrepreneurial Consulting Job Seeking Mom Wife, has become that of the Entrepreneurial Consulting Job Having Mom Wife - and just like that-six months later, I revived a dimension to my day - the return of balancing a NYC/Boston/Philadelphia job back into my balancing act.

The difference for me is that, now, I know the following:

1. Although I have always LOVED my boys, every day I actually looked forward to the time that we spent unencumbered by someone else’s demands and deadlines.

2. I relished the free mental space (if not the physical time) to think about building Saluda Spice Co.

3. My “labor of love” is really only now taking hold; and it has already been neglected. As I have had to rely on others to help pick up the slack, orders have gone unshipped, the website has not been updated in weeks and so adds to my balancing act.

4. If I am to become a contortionist and execute this intricately choreographed balancing act, I need to be in tip top condition which means, I need gym time 2 – 3 times a week and massages (I will finally force myself to use the $500+ of Massage Envy credits, dates with my husband and fun and relaxing times with my fellow Mom Wives.

I also now firmly believe that making decisions about what happens in my home, and with my boys, while I am not in it, will be much easier as a result of the time spent at home and the wonderful circle of supportive Mom Wives in friend network.

I am clearly not looking forward to time not being my own, however I believe that I’ll have a much clearer view of how I’d like to spend it:

Lesson 1: Massages, facials and mani/pedi’s are an indispensible part of life. Like air. You can spot the crazed wild-eyed stare of women who deny themselves this necessity. Bring them into the fold or avoid them at all costs.

Lesson 2: I will DVR The Real Housewives and sometimes even The Wendy Williams’ show – guilty pleasures!!

Lesson 3: The axiom is true, that job truly worth doing, must occasionally be completely blown off in favor of a quality and ample pour of Pinot, and anyone arguing otherwise is not to be trusted (And if that’s not the correct axiom, it should be).

Lesson 4: Any greater than three Lessons Learned per experience is probably wasted ink (and proof of a wasted lesson).

On the issue of good uses of time and spirits, I offer this:

One memory from my youth is watching Justain Wilson’s easy Orleans drawl and coaxing flavor, and his heavy hand as he cooked with and ‘sampled’ the wine he cooked with. But he was really onto something. A generous pour of wine, beer or whiskey or citrus (if you are dry) can be a fantastic flavor enhancer for you or the meat/poultry or fish you are preparing, and grant of delicious tenderizing for the time strapped Entrepreneurial Job Seeking or Having Mom Wife.

One glorious benefit to summer is the benefit of my husband’s prodigious grilling, and my quite willing eagerness to cede cooking time to him. Though lacking the medicinal benefit sampling wines, as I prepare marinade, I’m quite partial to lime- as is my family, and I think you will too.

Here’s a great, and nearly foolproof recipe to add a refreshing summer-crisp flavor to grilling selections:

Small Red onion sliced

½ Green and red pepper coarsely chopped

4 crushed garlic cloves

½ lb mushrooms

½ bushel of broccoli or Brussels sprouts (whichever you prefer)

4 Salmon filets or Tilapia or Boneless chicken breasts

Saluda Spice Co. Pepper Infused oil

In an envelope made of heavy aluminum foil or double- layered aluminum foil. Layer the veggies and liberally flavor with infused oil

Place fish or chicken on the veggie mixture sprinkle a little oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Fold and cover the mixture with foil and place on the grill for about 20 minutes – med heat. Grab a glass of your favorite libation. Enjoy a healthy delicious meal.

Let me know how it comes out. Speak to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment