Thursday, May 14, 2009

PEPPERy

So, yesterday I gave you the lesson of your life on salt.  Today, we’ll cover pepper.  But today will be different because I’m feeling different.  Pepper adds heat and tonight I’m feeling HOT – not in temperature  - in emotion.   Three months ago I was laid off from a sr. executive position in brand management in NYC – I have since become a stay at home mom/entrepreneur/consultant/job seeker…

Three months ago my neighbor Kanani and I started a gathering for neighborhood women called W.I.N.O.S – “women in need of separation.” (Actually a gathering  that I brought with me from Blue Bell, PA – which I borrowed from my friend Kathy in St. David's - who I think borrowed from her friend…)  Anyway, I digress,  an opportunity for women to get together taste great wine and release from all that they manage to balance. 

To say the least it has been quite a transition for me.  Today is an example of how good it can get.  Every morning is a challenge to get the boys (beautiful 7 and 4 year olds) out of the door in time to get JJ to school by 8:40 and then Carter to school by 8:50 so that I can start my entrepreneurial consulting job seeking by 9:00.  By the skin of our teeth we make it.  But today was different.  Jonathan cooperated for the 1st time in 3 months and was dressed, teeth brushed, face washed by 8:30.  Carter decided that he had to go to the bathroom at 8:30.  Marc took Jonathan to school so he wouldn’t be late and all hell broke loose.  Carter screamed and melted down until 8:58.  I screamed and melted down until 8:57.  I had an appointment for my entrepreneuring at 9:15.  Not enough time to get him out of the house to school and to the appointment – he’ll just have to come with me.  We’re there by 9:10 but he won’t get out of the car.  I do what any good entrepreneurial consulting job seeking mom would do - - I leave him in the car and have my meeting outside in the rain – this way I can keep an eye on the car.  So imagine how shocked I am when I get back to the car and he is missing.  Yes – the car seat is empty.  Did someone walk by and steal him – yes, he is that cute – and a little boy!!!! OMG – I can’t breathe!  “Carter !  Carter!”  Don’t panic– what will I tell the police?  Did he change his mind and try to find me?  “Carter!”  What the F!!!?  Wait, do I hear rustling from the trunk?  Walk around the car… open the trunk of the SUV.  “Mommy, how did you know I was in here?”  Big smile.  “You know everything.”  I know you better get your little behind back in your seat and I better take a walk around the car to get myself together because I think I want to choke you.  Drop off was accomplished and BOY was I looking forward to W.I.N.O.S!  7:00 won’t be here soon enough!

Fast-forward to 9:00 and the phone rings Marc is just leaving the office – forget about W.I.N.O.S.  Yes, I’m a big girl, I’m a powerhouse, a force, a mom, an entrepreneurial consulting job seeking wife and I am disappointed, angry and HOT!  I am PEPPERy. And can you believe we don’t have any wine in the house?!  I was going to go to the store on my way to W.I.N.O.S  and he didn’t bring any.  I am RED PEPPERy. 

Which leads me to tonight’s subject – Pepper – the perfect compliment to salt.  

Pepper is a flowering vine, cultivated for its fruit, which is usually dried and used as a spice that adds heat to meals. The fruit is known as a peppercorn when dried. Peppercorns, and the powdered pepper derived from grinding them, may be described as black pepper, white pepper, red/pink pepper, green pepper, and very often simply pepper. 

But did you know that pepper also has some very unique usages?  Didn’t think so – well here goes:

·      Stop a car radiator leak

·      Use as a decongestant

·      Keep colors bright

·      Get bugs off plants

o   2 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 4 medium sized onions
- 4 cups water
- In a blender or food processor, blend until completely smooth. Then add about a gallon of water and you are ready to spray your plants.

·      Deter deer from your garden

·      Keep ants out of the kitchen

·      Kill an ant colony

·      For arthritis pain you can make your own homemade warming massage to sooth where it hurts.

o   Recipe: Mix together

o   1 dropper of almond oil (Always use a carrier oil such as almond, jojoba or olive oil)
2 drops of pepper
1 drop ginger
2 drops lavender

Massage on the affected area and feel the warmth working.

 

Resources:

www.rd.com/advice-and-know-how/extraordinary-uses-for-pepper/ article23981.html

www.isnare.com/?aid=165490&ca=Cooking

OK we’ve passed Spice 101 and tomorrow will move onto something spicier.  Provided the day is better than today – don’t want to get stuck at PEPPERY. 

Easy spicy recipes and fun and quick gathering ideas tomorrow.

 

Tastefully yours,

Kimberly

1 comment:

  1. Wine in the house is essential; even if you don't drink it, knowing it is there can comfort you and prevent you from loud shrieking at your kids. Please come to my house next time you run out and exchange one jar spice for one bottle wine!

    ReplyDelete