Friday, May 22, 2009

Do You Smell SPICE?

Monday morning: I’ve dropped the boys off at school, gotten my venti light frapuccino with 2 shots of espresso, taken a conference call, gone to my 4 yr old’s “Spring Sing” and now I am sitting at the computer about to start my Entrepreneurial Consulting Job Seeking Mom Wife day when I smell something fragrant.  Not fragrant like my  Jo Malone Living  (home/body spray – love it!) Not fragrant like the freshly washed clothes that are in the basket at my feet waiting to be folded – fragrant like spice.  Spice that is getting stronger, as if I was cooking a chicken. Spice like garlic, mustard, sage, rosemary and thyme on chicken. Am I cooking a chicken?  Have I lost my mind and forgotten that I cleaned, seasoned and put a chicken in the oven?  NO, not possible.  The window is open; maybe one of my neighbors is cooking a chicken…outside and well seasoned? Possible, but not likely and especially not at 11:00 am.

 

Shake it off- need to write this report, the chicken must be close to done the smell is getting stronger.  I must be hungry, it smells so good – my mouth is watering.  I’ve got to find the source of this mouth-watering… wait!  It’s starting to come back to me.  Jonathan, my 7 year old, wanted chicken and rice for breakfast  (a food phase – breakfast for dinner and dinner for breakfast) and we had some leftovers, but why am I smelling it at my desk?  I look down and the bowl with a few grains of rice and 3 chunks of chicken are under my desk! First, I’m angry because that is trifling – carrying around the bowl and then just leaving it in the office – who does that?  But then I smile, because it smells so good and I remember that I cooked the chicken breast in Saluda Spice Co. Savory Chicken Blend.  I clean up the bowl and go back to work. 

 

Fast-forward to 3:30, Jonathan gets home, goes straight to the office and then asks me where his chicken is???  He was saving it and thought I wouldn’t see it there and throw it away.  “It tasted so good I wanted to make sure I had more when I got home from school.”  !!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

In between the Jonathan and Carter Escapades, Entrepreneurial Consulting Job Seeking Mom Wife duties, eating, drinking wine and a little sleeping I try to find time to workout so that my body can stay as youthful as my mind J  I usually fall short of the goal (because I HATE to workout) so I also look for ways to stay the same size with the food that I eat.  Spices are very important in weight control – there are several spices that are even known to stimulate metabolism – bring on the SPICE!

 

Here is some information that I found interesting – source: www.spiceetc.com and Add Spice to Your Life, Sarah L. Francis, PhD, MHS, RD
University of Wyoming Cooperative Extension, 2007

 

Recent studies have showed that spicy foods can curb appetite and speed up metabolism and thus fat burning ability. How you might ask? Hot spices especially chilies may inhibit overeating because they contribute to satiety, the feeling of fullness after eating. Not to mention it may be more difficult to overindulge in a hot, spicy food since you may become uncomfortable before you can overeat.

In addition feeling full faster, chili powder and many other spices have a thermogenic effect.  This results in the body heating itself from within, which revs up the metabolism. The term metabolism describes the sum of all chemical processes that take place in the body. It manages the movement of nutrients in the blood after digestion, which results in growth, energy and other body functions. Certain spices cause our bodies to burn extra calories by boosting the metabolic rate and thus stimulating weight loss. Some studies have found that adding thermogenic spices at a meal can increase the number of calories burned by 25% for up to an hour after the meal. The following spices have been shown to have this effect to some degree:

Black Pepper- Raises body temperature and increase metabolism. Pepper also has been shown to aid is digestion as well as have antioxidant and antibacterial properties.

Chili Powder- Contains capsaicin, a powerful stimulant that raises the body temperature and fat burning ability by up to 25% and reduces cholesterol levels and improves circulation.

Cayenne Pepper and Tabasco Sauce - Also causes metabolic rate and fat burning ability to increase by up to 25%.

Cumin- According to a study at the University of Chicago, cumin also increases metabolism, especially when used in curry spice blends.

Mustard- In a British study, adding ordinary mustard to a meal caused the average metabolic rate of participants to increase by 25% and the effects last up to 3 hours.

Turmeric- Also boosts metabolism

Ginger- Has been shown to increase metabolic rate and inhibit nausea sometimes caused by carsickness.

Cinnamon- Researchers have found that using just ¼ to 1 teaspoon of cinnamon can increase your metabolism and improve your body’s ability to handle sugar by stimulating insulin activity.

No one can promise weight loss, but it can’t hurt to rev up your metabolism by adding some of these spices for a little extra burn effect. As always, the best way to lose weight is to consume fewer calories than you burn and exercise regularly, but you never have to eat bland diet food! 

 

Tastefully yours,

Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment