Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Real Housewives, Art and Show


The Real Housewives of NY are having a serious discussion about how hard it is to be “stuck” in the Hamptons with the kids without their significant others. How about being “stuck” in the South Bronx… sorry, I have been distracted by the TV.

Uh-oh another distraction, hearing little footsteps sneaking into the room (he doesn’t think I can hear him). Wait for it… Marc bellows, “Go to bed!!!” Little footsteps head in the opposite direction. Is he going back to bed? Nope, he thinks he’s tricking us – instead of coming directly into the den he sneaks in thru the living room and from behind the couch we hear, “Mom and dad, I can’t sleep.” “Just go to your room and rest until you fall asleep.” “But I don’t want to rest… I don’t want to sle(yawn)ep.” And sleeping he is... on Mommy’s chest.

Now, for art and show. Tonight was the elementary school’s annual art show and spring musical concert. It was very well attended, and hot. Yes, hot – lots of kids and parents, no air conditioning. I owe a major shout out and ode of appreciation to Marion and Robert (my parents, God rest their souls) who never missed a school concert, never missed an opportunity to clap loudly and give big hugs and encouraging words after pitchy, long and hot seasonal concerts. Luckily I have a 3rd grader and kindergartner (chorus/orchestra doesn’t starts until 4th grade) – I enjoyed the art show and listened to the concert from outside. So you ask, why did you stay after viewing the art? I stayed because I volunteered to co-chair the event, and since I work ridiculous hours and often don’t even know if I will be home at night, co-chairing meant making tent cards for 30 minutes on Monday and clean up on Thursday night.

Key ingredients for sanity –

· Embrace the term “co”, there is no super in Job-Having Entrepreneurial Mom Wife – you can’t do it by yourself.

· 5 minutes or 5 days a week – the kids appreciate your effort to be a part of their lives (though they probably won’t say it until they are 30)

· Pitchy is a key

No comments:

Post a Comment