Saturday, November 17, 2018

Everyday Intention?

I woke up this morning thinking about what my intention was for this gray Saturday.  I thought about what events were on my calendar, what the family would want to accomplish, and what was in the fridge. I checked my phone - any texts that I need to answer?  What’s new of interest on Pinterest? - anything worthy of a Shoe Love post or WhattoWear?  Marc and Blu woke up and intention quickly turned to conversation and watching CBS This Morning Saturday: Shout out to my girl, Michelle!  Loved the red dress, by the way. WAIT! Have I already lost track of my intention for the day? 

For anyone who has read a post from Iyanla, seen a Super Soul Sunday, or knows a Life Coach has seen, heard, or been told to start everyday with an Intention and to make it happen.  What does that mean?  How much time does it take to determine your intention?  When should you do so?  If you are lucky and can carve out a few minutes for yourself in the morning in the shower, between yelling for the kids to “get in the car”, or as you are running into the office to make that last minute 8:30 meeting with your boss then Kudos to you.  If not, does this mean that your day is without merit?  Are you aimless and missing the journey to Magnificence?  

As I was flipping through my Facebook page this morning I came across a post from last week that made me think…"What was my intention on that day?"  The post read “When you learn, teach, when you get, give.” A quote from the late great Maya Angelou.  When I saw this quote it spoke to me as my Mom would speak to me - deep and with care to continually challenge myself to be a better human.  It made me think to myself, "is this what you do?"  And because it spoke to me, I posted it. My post got quite a few “likes” and an unexpected response from a professional acquaintance in the Bridal industry whom I met over a decade ago. She thanked me for being kind, commenting “ You have always been that… I've never forgotten. Thank you.”   

Her words humbled me and then they made me think. Did I start the day that I met her with an intention?  If so, what was my intention?  Was it to be kind? What was it?  If it was intentional shouldn't I know what it was??!   Was my day planned out or did I just step out on faith and follow the path? I couldn't remember the day, but if it was Bridal Fashion week I was most certainly harried and stressed out wondering whether or not the editors would love my new collections. Wondering if we could beat our sales goals. Actually, looking back, that was probably my intention; making that money!  But none of that is what lasted. Priscilla of Boston shuttered in 2011. Many, if not most of the editors who saw and loved the collections are no longer with their publications - if the publications even still exist. I am no longer in the bridal industry and don’t hear from many who still are. The one thing that did last, was kindness. And it's made all the difference.  

If we can be unintentionally kind then what does that mean about the opposite?  That is a discussion for another day.

I believe that even if you can’t set daily intentions you can live an intentional life.  My intention everyday is to learn something new, make a difference in some way to someone somewhere, and, my guilty pleasure; some time to find a fabulous pair of shoes.  

#Lifegoals
#Spiceteria
#kloth92
#intentionsetting
#goodintentions

No comments:

Post a Comment